[Xen-devel] X11 problem with dom0 pvops kernel on Xen 4.0.1

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] X11 problem with dom0 pvops kernel on Xen 4.0.1
From: "John McDermott (US Navy Employee)" <mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 12:53:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:02:12 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Xen Developers,

I have encountered what appears to be an interesting video or DRM problem while
attempting to install Fedora 13 as an HVM, using a 2.6.32.18 PVOPS dom0, running
on Xen 4.0.1 on Fedora 13. Using virt-install --nographics, it reaches the point
following the XML display of the boot guest configuration and then hangs with
garbage displayed on my remote xterm console. (Virt-install --vnc dies also.) My
serial console shows a bunch of

(XEN) HVM2: int13_harddisk: function 41, unmapped device for ELDL=81

and then some

(XEN) vlapic.c:702:d2 Local APIC Write to read-only register 0x30

error messages.

The hardware is a Dell Precision 690 with an Intel E6320 processor (I don't
think this is the issue) and an nVidia Quadro NVS 285, which X11 reports as
nVidia NV 44. Plain old Fedora 13 uses the nouveau driver with no problems. Udev
tells me it is version 153. The problem remains even with the kernel booted
nopat.

Some pretty good folks on Xen Users have looked at this and no fix was
suggested.

If anyone is interested in looking at all of the dumps, serial output,
dmidecode, X11 output, etc. for this machine, I'd be happy to provide it out of
band.

Sincerely,

John McDermott
--
What is the formal meaning of the one-line program

#include "/dev/tty"
?