Re: [Xen-devel] Need help to get networking to work in WinXP domU

To: Jonathan White <jonxwhite@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Need help to get networking to work in WinXP domU
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:19:31 -0400
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:20:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 01:40:18AM -0700, Jonathan White wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running a WinXPsp3 domU in Xen-4.0.1-rc5-pre x86_64 environment, but
> with no network interface enabled. The only way I could get the domU to boot
> successfully was when I commented out the vif line in the win.hvm config
> file (see attached win.hvm, which is based on /etc/xen/xmexample.hvm).
> Also attached are few other log files (xend.log and
> qemu-dm-WinXPDomain.log).

The log says:

domid: 16
warning: could not open /dev/net/tun: no virtual network emulation
Could not initialize device 'tap'

If you google for this you find hints about checking what 'dev/net/tun'
is. And some of them might mention to do 'modprobe tun'.