[Xen-devel] Re: rdtsc strangeness on upstream kernel

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: rdtsc strangeness on upstream kernel
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:34:59 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:35:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 07/19/2010 04:19 PM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> In trying to understand some strange behavior I was
> seeing on a RHEL6b2 guest, I ran across an interesting
> anomaly, and it seems to be true on different upstream
> (pvops) kernels.  At first I thought it was a result
> of the xen_sched_clock->xen_clocksource_read patch
> you recently posted, but after some testing this
> appears to be unrelated.
>
> The number of rdtsc/second goes up dramatically when
> there is CPU-intensive load on an upstream kernel!

Are you looking at rdtsc emulation traps when running a PV domain?

> I know we both observed some cases where rdtsc/sec
> was very high, but I don't think we ever were able to
> reproduce this consistently.

It would be interesting to compare that to the context switch rate (cs
column in vmstat output) to see if they correlate.

Also, how does it relate to timer interrupts?

> First, this is a single vcpu, 64-bit 2.6.32 (RHEL6b2)
> kernel.
>
> I am observing ~300 rdtsc/sec on an idle VM.  When
> I run a load of:
>
> main() {while(1);}
>
> I am observing about 10000 rdtsc/sec!!
>
> This is a CONFIG_HZ_1000=y kernel, so I would
> expect 1000 rdtsc/sec, or maybe 2000 rdtsc/sec,
> but 10000 makes me wonder if there is some hidden
> bug.

Do you have preemption running?  And why HZ=1000?

Thanks,