Re: [Xen-devel] Re: xenpm: provide core/package cstate residencies

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: xenpm: provide core/package cstate residencies
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:55:35 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 00:56:27 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13/07/2010 08:31, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I applied the hypervisor component of this patch. I leave it to Ian Jackson
>> to deal with the tools part. In future please split patches that touch both
>> hypervisor and tools into a patch series in which each component patch
>> touches only one or the other.
>
> Hmm, is that really a good mechanism, especially when a change
> modifies the hypervisor <-> tools interface in an incompatible way?
> The resulting inconsistency, besides being bad by itself, would likely
> make bisecting more difficult.

In this case the change isn't an API, or even an ABI, breakage. A consistent
build of hypervisor and tools will work, and continue to work, across the
hypervisor-only changeset.

I think there will rarely be interface-breaking patches. If there are we
might have to consider them as one unit. We'll see. A patch series will
usually be the correct way to go however.

 -- Keir