Re: [Xen-devel] AES Encryption information

To: ReehanAhmedKhan I L <reehanahmedkhan.il@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] AES Encryption information
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:52:14 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:53:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 07/06/2010 11:13 AM, ReehanAhmedKhan I L wrote:
> On creating a fully encrypted para-virtualised Xen guest system, is
> all the data stored on the hard-disk fully encrypted?  If so when is
> the encryption done.
> The shared memory is used to communicate between dom0 and domU.  Is
> the encryption done before data is put in the shared memory?
> Does not the whole encryption procedure slow down the system?

Xen has no specific support for encrypting disk data.  You can use
whatever mechanisms the dom0 and/or domU kernels support.  If you're
using Linux, for example, you can configure your setup to encrypt within
the domU so that the dom0 domain only ever sees encrypted data, or you
can encrypt in dom0.

The performance effects really depend on your workload and system, but
my laptop with an encrypted ssd has used 19min 35s for disk encryption
over the last 13 days of uptime.