Re: [Xen-devel] [Fwd: [Xen-users] Dom0 and memory]

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Fwd: [Xen-users] Dom0 and memory]
From: Luís Silva <luis.silva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:39:35 +0100
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:40:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 10:28 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>> On 27.06.10 at 01:44, LuísSilva <luis.silva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is this supposed to happen, can it be controlled with any configuration?

That's to make Dom0's memory map holes match those of the physical
machine. I think the plan is to relocate those pages to the top of
Dom0's physical address space instead of freeing them, but so far
this wasn't implemented. As this is only being done in the pv-ops
kernel, switching to 2.6.18 or a forward port thereof (as also
suggested by Keir) should get you to see the full memory amount in
Dom0.

Well, I'm trying to use this laptop as a testing machine and also trying to make the most out of the laptop. I already tried 2.6.32 forward patches from Novell, but they have a problem with audio (or pulseaudio has a problem with the patches... :P) Apart from this memory issue, pv-ops it's the one that runs the best (and  it is running really great!). Also I was trying to avoid using an older kernel like XCP, because I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on dom0 and I wanted to deviate as little as possible from the base ubuntu kernel (2.6.32).
Jan

Thanks for the reply,
Luís