RE: [Xen-devel] XenClient sources?

To: luciofm <luciofm@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] XenClient sources?
From: Chaitanya Upadhyay <Chaitanya.Upadhyay@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:03:29 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Blum <Peter.Blum@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chaitanya Upadhyay <Chaitanya.Upadhyay@xxxxxxxxxx>, Peter
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:06:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Lucio,

> Other package that is missing is ocaml-dbus
> (http://projects.snarc.org/ocaml-dbus/) used by the
> xenclient-toolstack.

Thanks for spotting this. The version used is identical to the 0.24 release on
github (http://github.com/vincenthz/ocaml-dbus).  Vincent works for Citrix and
he's happy to waive the need for us to respin the source CD just to include
this, but we'll fix the build system to include it on future source CDs.

> The only thing I could spot now is the missing sources for
> /usr/bin/input_{server,client} binaries that are linked to
> /usr/lib/libpci.so.3.1.2 which is GPLv2 (or later)

The engineering team took a look at this, and didn't think there was a reason
why the input stuff should be having anything to do with libpci. Indeed, it
turned out that input_{server,client} don't actually reference anything
provided by libpci, so it won't be dynamically linked against it. libpci shows
up in the output of ldd because of a bug in a configure script used to build
the daemon.

You can demonstrate this simply by running sed on the binary to remove libpci
from the list of expected libraries, e.g. "sed -i 's/libpci.so.3/libnsl.so.1/'
input_{server,client}" [libnsl is used here simply because it is not used by
input_server/client and happens to have the same length name.]  If you run the
sed script and reboot you should see that input_server/client binaries still
load correctly (as they were never actually being dynamically linked against
libpci) and that there is no loss of functionality.  Hence, input_server/client
don't use any GPL libraries.

We expect to release all of the extra bits and pieces like this as GPL and
submit them for consideration for the XCI tree, and are working on appropriate
legal signoff. Stay tuned...

Citrix XenClient Product Team.

Other package that is missing is ocaml-dbus
(http://projects.snarc.org/ocaml-dbus/) used by the
xenclient-toolstack.

Regards
Lúcio Maciel