Re: [Xen-devel] XCP: how to build dom0 kernel

To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamamoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] XCP: how to build dom0 kernel
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 09:20:50 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 01:23:30 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 08:59 +0100, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> hi,
>
> > OK. I'll install up a VM and give it a go see if I can work out what is
> > happening.
>
> thanks.
>
> > Oh, I have an idea -- is you host running 32 or 64 bit CentOS?
>
> 64 bit.
>
> head-006% uname -a
> Linux head-006 2.6.18-128.el5_vaj2010022501xen #1 SMP Mon Mar 1 09:28:06 JST
> 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> head-006%
>
> does it matter?

Unfortunately I think it does. XCP domain 0 is 32 bit and the
kernel-xen.spec is obviously not quite right for cross compiling. I'd
recommend installing a 32 bit CentOS VM and using that. You may be able
to make cross compiling work for the kernel but if you get into building
anything further down the userspace part you may run into even more
troubles.

If you want to try and get cross compilation working for the kernel only
I think you would need to start by modifying the macro near the top of
kernel-xen.spec file include a correct ARCH= in MAKEOPTS, probably by
defining a kernelarch variable in the "%ifarch %{ix86}" and "%ifarch
x86_64" blocks just above and using that.

Ian.