Re: [Xen-devel] XCP: Xen tools problem with RedHat VMs?

To: dwight at supercomputer.org <dwight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] XCP: Xen tools problem with RedHat VMs?
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:25:15 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 01:25:55 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 06:31 +0100, dwight at supercomputer.org wrote:
> I came across an odd problem with adding the packages from the
> xs-tools.iso today. After mounting the ISO in a fresh CentOS 5.4
> VM, and doing the .../Linux/install.sh, I ended up with this in
> the VM's grub.conf:
>
> ----- Start of the new grub.conf entry ----------
> title CentOS (2.6.18-164.10.1.el5.xs0.1.1.64xen)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-164.10.1.el5.xs0.1.1.64
>         module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.10.1.el5.xs0.1.1.64xen ro
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>         module /initrd-2.6.18-164.10.1.el5.xs0.1.1.64xen.img
> ----- End of the new grub.conf entry ----------

Is it causing an actual issue? Are the other existing stanzas similar?

This stanza is created by tools which are part of RHEL (/sbin/grubby or
similar) which are called by the kernel RPM's %post script. XCP does not
patch this part of the kernel so the behaviour here should be as for a
CentOS supplied RPM.

My understanding was that pygrub was wise enough to spot entries of this
form and drop the xen when booting in a domU.

Long term we are hoping to get rid of the majority of the kernels
supplied by the xs-tools.iso. The distro provided kernels are perfectly
fine these days.

For example in the next stable release we will drop the RHEL5x kernel
because RHEL 5.4 is in good enough shape (we would still recommend
running the 5.4 kernel even on earlier 5.x).

>From tracking the issues in RH bugzilla I think that when RHEL 4.6 comes
out it will also be good enough that we can drop the RHEL4x kernel from
XCP as well. Even the issues in the existing RHEL 4.8 kernels are not
that critical, they are mostly rare failures to boot which can be worked
around by rebooting.