Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 in debian packages?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0 in debian packages?
From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:37:04 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:38:00 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 02:29:32PM +0200, Helmut Wieser wrote:

Packages can be found in debian experimental. Please see here
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/xen-hypervisor-4.0-amd64 and
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/xen-hypervisor-4.0-i386

I think Debian packages don't include HVM support.. blktap2 is also missing.
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong..

-- Pasi

Hi,

I am supposed to be doing the package for the HVM, but unfortunately, I
didn't receive the support from this list when I asked about it. However,
you can find it here:

http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/lenny/main/x/xen-qemu-dm-3.4/

and here:

http://ftparchive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/lenny/main/x/xen-qemu-dm-4.0/

Note that even if both are targeting SID as always in Debian, the above
packages are compiled for/under a Debian Lenny. The reason is that I think
it's best to maintain a Stable ftp archive at GPLHost, so that we have
a good source for backports that I can control without anyone influencing
me, while the Debian archive contains the SID / testing packages. This way
every flavor of Debian can be addressed, and people can choose. I might
switch to using backports.org when I am an official DD (see below).

Since there's still an issue with that last one, namely an invalid option
'-vcpu_avail' that I don't know were is comming from, I can't have the 4.0
in Debian just yet. Also, since I am yet waiting for the approval of the
DAM team to be an official DD (Debian Developer), I can't upload
xen-qemu-dm-3.4 in Debian without sponsoring, and so far, nobody did want
to sponsor this upload even if I asked multiple times.

I have passed all the steps to become DD, only the final last one is
remaining, which is the check of all past actions and creation of my
Debian account. So I guess it wont take much longer now (even if I have
been waiting for a full month for that last step already). When I become
DD, I'll spend more time on having a fully working package with them help
of others for testing.

So, if these 2 issues (sponsoring and that -vcpu-avail issue) are solved,
then you'll have HVM support in Debian too.

Thomas

P.S: To tell the truth, I'm quite disappointed that I didn't receive the
help that some said they would give for these 2 issues (sponsoring, and
that -vcpu-avail option that is coming from I don't know where). Maybe
I didn't insist enough, and they missed my emails in this list?