[Xen-devel] VGA passthrough nVidia NVS 295

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] VGA passthrough nVidia NVS 295
From: Helmut Wieser <helmut.wieser@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 13:04:10 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:04:25 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I want to try to get VGA passthrough working in a Windows 7 x64 domU.
I'm running debian squeeze/testing/unstable with Jeremy's 2.6.32.x kernel.
The best I got to work is the device showing up under Windows 7, with all resources and whatnot.

I've applied the vga-loadbios patch and vBAR-pBAR patch to xen, and the vBAR-pBAR patch to qemu-dm.

This behaviour isn't stable though. Sometimes I can log on and then domU crashes with a BSoD (nvlddmkm.sys). Sometimes I can log on and actually do something. But certain operations, like changing display options or checking device manager details cause a BSoD.

The NVS 295 is based on a G98, which isn't to dissimilar from Eming's GeForce 8400GS. He only states he used 2.6.30-rc3 with some upstream patches, but not more.

Has anyone succeeded in passing thru an nVidia graphics card to a Windows 7 x64 guest?
Should I try Windows XP, would that make a difference?

regards,
Helmut