Re: [Xen-devel] qemu-xen-unstable build error

To: Zhigang Wang <zhigang.x.wang@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] qemu-xen-unstable build error
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:55:40 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2010 02:01:42 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 28/05/2010 09:50, "Zhigang Wang" <zhigang.x.wang@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I created soft links to the qemu-xen-unstable tree:
>
> rwxrwxrwx  1 zhigang zhigang       12 2010-05-28 15:19 ioemu-dir ->
> ioemu-remote
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 zhigang zhigang       23 2010-05-11 08:23 ioemu-remote ->
> ../../qemu-xen-unstable
>
> So it will not checkout the tag.

Yes, I do similar (well, I specify CONFIG_QEMU) and so QEMU_TAG does nothing
much for me also. Generally I find the build breaks rarely enough that I've
never bothered to change things.

> Seems the QEMU_TAG hack is not a good enough. I'm wondering whether can we
> make
> master always be compiled and rename QEMU_TAG to QEMU_BRANCH? All experimental
> patches go to another branch and users set the QEMU_BRANCH for testing.

Perhaps if CONFIG_QEMU is specified then the build system should clone from
the local repository, or copy it (which is presumably fast) and then do a
private checkout in that clone/copy, so that QEMU_TAG is always respected.

Getting the right qemu version is a bit of a crapshoot right now.

 -- Keir