Re: [Xen-devel] need known working 64-bit upstream kernel config file fo

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] need known working 64-bit upstream kernel config file for PV guest
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 23:57:38 +0300
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 May 2010 13:58:51 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 01:49:01PM -0700, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> Hi Pasi --
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Hope your trip home went well!

Yeah it did.. except the jetlag :)

> > What exact upstream kernel.org kernels you are trying to make work?
>
> Any working x86_64 config file for any upstream kernel >=2.6.32
> would be fine.  I have a 32-bit config file that works fine for 2.6.27
> up to 2.6.32 (and I think for 2.6.33... trying again now).

2.6.33.0 is known to crash as Xen PV guest, I think 2.6.33.2 fixes that.
So better use 2.6.33.latest update.

You could grab the Fedora 13 2.6.33.3 kernel and get the .config from it?
That F13 kernel works for me.

> I've just found out that my config file does NOT work for x86
> 2.6.34-rc5 though.  Not sure why...
>
> > I assume you're familiar with debugging crashing guest kernels?
> >
> > If not, see here:
> > http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems
> >
> > The chapter "My Xen PV guest kernel crashes, how can I debug it?".
>
> I've done that before but these panics are all very early and
> I have a tombstone for each panic.  I thought enough people are
> using upstream kernels that I must just have some CONFIG_
> incorrect.  Perhaps I am wrong and I am the first one to
> try these upstream kernels (at least in a PV domain)?
>
> It seems that all the failures I am seeing have some kind
> of syscall in the stacktrace and they happen early enough
> in init that I suppose it is possible that this is the very
> first syscall that is failing.

Hmm.. Jeremy was thinking that some non-Xen changes in 2.6.34
might have caused problems.

I haven't tried 2.6.34 myself (yet). I'll try some day in the near future..

-- Pasi