Re: [Xen-devel] PV on HVM

Stefano,

--On 10 May 2010 15:20:36 +0100 Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

this is the updated version of the PV on HVM series: many bugs have been
fixed and VIRQ_TIMER support has been added.
In order to be able to use VIRQ_TIMER and to improve performances you
need two other patches to Xen to implement the vector callback mechanism
for event channel delivery and to export some time related hypercalls to
HVM guests too.

This series is based on a standard 2.6.32 tree, a git tree is also
available here:

git://xenbits.xen.org/people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git

branch name 2.6.32-pvhvm.

This appears to a be complete kernel tree. It isn't immediately
obvious from the git log whether there are substantial differences
outside drivers/xen and include/xen? Are there any? Or should I be able
to simply import these directories into a distributor kernel tree
and compile from there?

One of the problems I found when doing this:
 http://blog.alex.org.uk/archives/23
is that the standard Ubuntu tree already has a xen directory,
leading to all sorts of amusing collisions, at compile time (in
terms of filename paths), and at link time (if CONFIG_XEN
is selected, and the idea is to build a kernel that works
both in paravirtualised guest mode and in HVM mode with PV
drivers). I got around the former, but not the latter.

--
Alex Bligh