RE: [Xen-devel] [Question] vcpu-set before or after xen_pause_requested

To: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [Question] vcpu-set before or after xen_pause_requested
From: "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:42:26 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 01:43:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm curios do we really care about we lost the intermediate value.
For example, considering user do vcpu-set 2 (i.e set vcpu number to 2),
vcpu-set 4, and vcpu-set 2, and guest didn't take any action at all, would it
be really so important? Or, if it is 2->4->3, should the xm vcpu-set itself
really need care 4 vcpu is bringup in some time?

Especially consider guest (i.e. OS) will take several steps to really utilize
the new added vcpu. For example, when CPU hot-added, Linux kernel will send a
uevent to user space, and ueventd will try to bring up the CPU after get the
event. In a system without properly setup the uevent script, the xm vcpu-set
command will not cause changes to both guest kernel and xen hypervisor at all.
In old kernel, even hot-remove will go-through uevent also. Also, the uevent
script may combine several uevent still, depends on how the script is
implemented.

I think the close loop should happen in caller to the vcpu-set, if the caller
really cares about the result of the command, it should check xen's vcpu status
to check if the command has take effect or not.

Any idea?

Thanks
Yunhong Jiang