[Xen-devel] Re: vt-d p7p55d evo

To: Mark Hurenkamp <mark.hurenkamp@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: vt-d p7p55d evo
From: listmail <listmail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 02:14:50 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:12:23 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Hurenkamp wrote:
Hi,

I'm not a subscriber to xen-devel yet, but did see your post about the evo and iommu not working. Within the last week I have installed a xen 4.0rc8 and xen/stable clone kernel 2.6.32.10 and boot ok with iommu=1 and have also successfully passed through a tv tuner card tonight which modules did load for. I did have one weird quirk though. I haven't tested the card in the domu yet. Anyway if you want to discuss this further then reply back.

Are you sure you are using VT-d here (are you using hvm loader)? I'd be very interested to know what Bios version you are using, what your 'xm dmesg' and 'xm info' output is (after boot), and the xen configuration file for your VM. Cause although my system can boot fine with enabled iommu now, it is simply switched off by xen at boottime... Did you do something special to force it to on? Do you have any patches installed? Btw, passthrough of a tuner device to a pvm domU is not a problem here, but that does not require VT-d (nor VT-x).
Did you manage to passthrough a device to Windows?
My ultimate goal is to passthrough a (secondary) usb card, and a (secondary) graphics card, to a Windows hvm.

Mark.

I'm still pretty new to Xen so it could very well be that I've misunderstood the requirements for certain capabilities. I thought one of the wiki's had stated that to pass through to an hvm guest you have to have VT-d though. Is there something specific that I which can indicate its status after boot?

bios: 1207
cpu: i7 860
grub2: http://pastebin.ca/1856369
xm dmesg: http://pastebin.ca/1856370
xm info: http://pastebin.ca/1856372
hvm cfg: http://pastebin.ca/1856376
I think I compiled the linux kernel at xen/stable git commit 221c4dbf86 given the timestamp in xm info (all done same time frame)