RE: [Xen-devel] New release candidate for Xen 4.0.0 (RC9)

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, Joanna Rutkowska <joanna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] New release candidate for Xen 4.0.0 (RC9)
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:44:07 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:52:49 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I don't think it makes sense for anyone to really be using 2.6.18
> > anymore.
>
> Sorry, I have to disagree.  The only real issue with 2.6.18 is
> old drivers.  If your machine works fine with 2.6.18 dom0, it
> is still very likely the most stable and fully-functional dom0
> bits and has been tested with many previous releases of Xen
> and was the default for pre-4.0 until a few months ago.

That's a very big "if". The 2.6.18 available for download from xenbits has not
been actively kept up to date with new drivers etc.

If you really want to use 2.6.18, at least use an actively maintained version
e.g. from XenServer 5.5 or OracleVM, CentOS etc.

> > The 2.6.27 tree is probably the most widely tested right now, and is
> > shipping in commercial xen distros, and xen.org's Xen Cloud Platform
> > and XCI.
>
> I don't want to get into a numbers argument, but all Oracle VM
> shipments are using a 2.6.18-based dom0.  And I'd venture to
> guess that, since most enterprise shops rarely move immediately to
> the leading edge release, the vast majority of commercial Xen users
> are using a 2.6.18-based dom0.

2.6.27 is hardly leading edge for use with Xen. Novell released SLES11 over a
year ago.

Over the last year, there will have been a lot more test resources focussed on
the combination of modern xen and 2.6.27 than there have been on 2.6.18.

You may be right that there is more 2.6.18 in enterprise use, but the vast
majority of that will be in combination with older versions of Xen.

Ian