Re: [Xen-devel] Jeremy's GIT-tree and network problems

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Jeremy's GIT-tree and network problems
From: "S.H. Verbrugge" <ief@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:18:15 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:20:14 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 05:40:23PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have bridging problems with the Dom0 kernels from Jeremy???s tree.
> I wrote a mail to xen-user (MSG-ID
> <20091220T1944.GA.ab998.stse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 20 Dec 2009), but
> without solutions. So I try xen-devel this time.
>

> My hardware setup:
> A PC with two NICs (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
> PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller) is used as working
> environment (Dom0) and as firewall/proxy/DSL-router (DomU).
> The two NICs are bridged between Dom0 and DomU.
> Bridge eth0 containing peth0 and vif1.0 has an IP address in Dom0
> and DomU. The DomU IP address is the gateway address in Dom0.
> Bridge xenbr1 containing eth1 and vif1.1 has no IP address in Dom0
> and DomU and is only used to connect the DSL modem to DomU. The IP
> address is given to the PPP interface in DomU.
> Linux distribution is Debian/Testing (64bit) with XEN version 3.4.2
> in December and 3.4.3rc3 now. The kernels are always self-compiled.
>

> My working setup:
> Dom0 with kernel 2.6.29.5 with xen-patches-2.6.29-6.tar.bz2 and DomU
> with standard kernel 2.6.32.x (and the 2.6.29.5 xen kernel before).
> The hypervisor was 3.4.2 and is now 3.4.3rc3.
> Here everything works as expected. DomU acts as firewall and is
> using correct masquerading for all internet traffic.
>

> My non-working setup:
> Dom0 with the PV-Ops kernel from Jeremy???s tree (I tried the
> follwoing kernels: 2.6.31.5-00500-g34013be, 2.6.31.6-00696-g41a0695
> (tested in December) and now from xen/stable the versions
> 2.6.32.10-02792-gf112549 and 2.6.32.10-02798-gd945b01). DomU kernel
> and hypervisor are the same as in the working setup.
>
> What is working?
> IP connection between Dom0 and DomU is working and between DomU and
> the internet. Traffic from Dom0 to the internet is working if DomU
> is used as a proxy (e.g. HTTP traffice with a squid in DomU).
>
> What is not working?
> Direct IP connection between Dom0 and the internet (tested with ping
> and ???telnet <host> <port>???.
> If I trace in DomU I see the packets leaving the ppp0 interface
> (correctly masqueraded), but I see no answering packets.
> If I trace in Dom0 using the bridge interfaces between the DSL modem
> and DomU (xenbr1, eth1, vif1.1, see hardware setup above), I don???t
> see the packets anymore. I only see packets from traffic generated
> directly by DomU.
> The DomU configuration between the working and non-working setup is
> not changed, only the Dom0 kernel is changed.
>

> So if anyone has an idea, what this could be and how to fix it, I
> will be glad.
>

> Further information:
> The NIC and the bridge driver are the same in all kernels from
> 2.6.29.5 until 2.6.32.10:
>
> osgiliath:~# ethtool -i eth1
> driver: r8169
> version: 2.3LK-NAPI
> firmware-version:
> [...]

Hello :-)

I seem to have the exact same problem.

Could you check your dmesg (dom0) to see if you have similar messages?

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-03/msg00966.html

--
 /\/\  Hostingvereniging Soleus              |  Community-driven
< ** > http://soleus.nu                      |  Virtual Private Servers