Re: [Xen-devel] serial ports in a pv domU

xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/19/2010 01:29:22 PM:

> On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 17:21 +0000, Michael D Labriola wrote:
> > Is there a way to pass a system's on-board serial port(s) into a
> > paravirtualized domU?
>
> I think you can pass individual IO ports and interrupt through to a PV
> guest without necessarily passing through a PCI device.
>
> I'm afraid I don't actually know the exact runes to cause xend or xl or
> whatever to do this though -- I think perhaps for xend lines like:
>    ioport=03f8-03f9
>    irq=3
> (or whatever the com port uses) in your config file might do the trick.
>
> > I don't have any on hand to test with, but would passing a PCI serial
card
> > into the domU have any issues?
>
> I'd expect that to work alright.

Hmm, thought I had this working.  With 'ioports = ['3f8-3ff']' and
'irq=[4]' in my cfg file, I get appropriate messages in domU's dmesg about
initializing ttyS0...  But the device doesn't seem to work.  And the
device still works in dom0...

I looked at the old InstallationNotes Wiki (last touched Nov 2007?) which
says to blacklist the 8250, 8250_pnp, and serial_core modules... is this
still needed with the pv_ops kernels?  Pretty sure I've got the serial
stuff compiled into the kernel, so I can't really blacklist those unless I
recompile.  I tried unbinding the devices from their driver via sysfs, but
then the devices don't show up in domU at all...

---
Michael D Labriola
Electric Boat
mlabriol@xxxxxxxx