[Xen-devel] Optimize credit scheduler __runq_tickle to reduce IPIs

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Optimize credit scheduler __runq_tickle to reduce IPIs
From: "Wei, Gang" <gang.wei@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:22:12 +0800
Accept-language: zh-CN, en-US
Acceptlanguage: zh-CN, en-US
Cc: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:25:27 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I used to find for multiple idle vms case, there are a lot of break events come
from IPIs which are used to raise SCHEDULE_SOFTIRQ to wake up idle cpus to do
load balancing -- csched_vcpu_wake ->__runq_tickle->cpumask_raise_softirq. In
__runq_tickle(), if there are at least two vcpus runable, it will try to tickle
all idle cpus which have affinity with the waking up vcpu to let them pull this
vcpu away.

I am thinking about an optimization, limiting the number of idle cpus tickled
for vcpu migration purpose to ONLY ONE to get rid of a lot of IPI events which
may impact the average cpu idle residency time.

There are two concerns about this optimization:
1. if the only one target cpu failed to pull this vcpu (for the reason such as
it just has been scheduled for another vcpu), this vcpu may stay on the
original cpu for a long period until suspend/wakeup again and keep system cpus
unbalanced.
2. if first_cpu() was used as the way to choose the target among all possible
idle cpus, will it cause overall unbalanced cpu utilization? i.e. cpu 0 > cpu 1
> ... > cpu N

Do my concerns make sense? Or any comments, suggestions, ...

Jimmy