Re: [Xen-devel] Where are all the pvops branches?

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Where are all the pvops branches?
From: Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 09:33:11 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 01:33:47 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 06/03/10 19:11, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 19:01 +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
So I cloned git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git but
the result of 'git branch' is to list only xen/master, and if I try things
like 'git checkout xen/stable' then I get told there is no such branch. What
stupid thing am I doing wrong?

You need "git branch -r" to show remote branches.

xen/master needs to be prepended by the remote name, which defaults to
origin unless you have been doing clever things with "git remote".  Try
"git checkout -b xen/stable origin/xen/stable" to checkout
origin/xen/stable into a local branch called xen/stable.

if you want to track a remote branch, you probably want:

"git checkout --track origin/xen/stable"

which means you want to create a "xen/stable" local branch that track the xen/stable branch on the "origin" remote (each time you pull origin/xen/stable it will merge it automatically in your local xen/stable branch).

Ian's command only creates a local "xen/stable" at the same reference that origin/xen/stable is pointing too, but doesn't add the policy about pull. you can easily add the tracking a-posteriori with:

"git branch --track xen/stable origin/xen/stable"

--
Vincent