Re: [Xen-devel] trying to debug xen4 & qemu-dm, Xen reports "core dump f

To: 0bo0 <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] trying to debug xen4 & qemu-dm, Xen reports "core dump failed"
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 21:38:02 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 13:38:38 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 26/01/2010 21:25, "0bo0" <0.bugs.only.0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Ah, sorry, I meant a core file produced when qemu-dm crashes (that is,
>> assuming that qemu-dm does crash, which appears likely). All the log files
>> tell us is that xend thinks that qemu-dm process simply disappeared without
>> warning. The question is obviously: why did it disappear, and only for you
>> in your setup.
>
> np. i'm happy to provide the info.
>
>  so since i'm not launching qemu-dm directly, how -- specifically --
> do I grab that core dump for you?

As root:
 ulimit -c unlimited
 echo '/var/core/core.%e.%u.%p' > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern

Now try starting your guest. It fails, and hopefully you have a core file in
/var/core/. You can load it into gdb as 'gdb /usr/lib/xen/qemu-dm
/var/core/name-of-core-file' and then execute bt command at the gdb prompt.
That hopefully tells us where qemu-dm crashed.

 -- Keir