Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Virtualization

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Virtualization
From: Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 17:16:36 +0100
Cc: Tércio Alexander <tercioalexander@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:17:41 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 13 January 2010 19:18:43 Tércio Alexander wrote:
> Hello.
>

> Please, I need help.
>

> Is possible I made 1 VM with 12 GB RAM with 2 servers with 8 GB RAM each ?

I think, this is a very interesting question.

Xen has to be able to create and bringup the guest on both machines
and they need to be synchronized via live migration mechanism.
I think with Xen's PoD feature, Xen can bring up the guest with 12GB RAM on a
8GB machine and then Xen needs to be able to move it partially to the second
machine.

Also scheduling of vcpu's on physical cpus has to be handled, i.e. first half
of vcpus is scheduled on first machine, second half on second machine.

I don't think this is possible with Xen now but this is surely a nice feature
for a future Xen version.

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH