Re: [Xen-devel] Qemu version for upcoming Xen 4.0 release?

Pasi Kärkkäinen writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Qemu version for upcoming Xen 4.0
release?"):
> Ian: What do you think? New major version of Xen would be good a
> opportunity to sync with upstream Qemu development.. especially when
> Qemu just released new stable version.

qemu upstream development has been very active particularly in the 2nd
half of last year.  Applying our current patchset to qemu 0.12.1 is
more of a rewrite than a sync.  I've played around a bit with this but
it's been clear for some months from the huge changes upstream that
the resync would be a big deal.  It's not a good idea to do at this
stage of the Xen release cycle, and the qemu upstream release came a
bit later for us.

We'll be looking into doing this for the next Xen release particularly
if qemu upstream's major architectural rework projects slow down.
Not that there's anything wrong with what qemu upstream have been
doing - lots of it is very good stuff and very important.  But it
doesn't provide a very easy base for throwing in a large set of
changes like ours.

> Or is it too painful to re-sync qemu-xen with upstream?

It's certainly not something we can do for 4.0.  There's a lot of work
needed and the resulting qemu-xen would be quite unlike the current
one so would need a lot of time to settle down.

Ian.