[Xen-devel] Is there a way for privileged domain to map arbitrary machin

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Is there a way for privileged domain to map arbitrary machine page?
From: Wei LIU <liuw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:32:47 +0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 00:33:33 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, all

I want to map arbitrary machine pages to a privileged domain (not
dom0) with memory related hypercalls.

The machine pages I want to map belong to other domain. Also, those
pages are not part of the caller domain. When I try
HYPERVISOR_update_va_mapping, the hypervisor complains on this
operation, and, of course, pages won't be correctly mapped.

I also discover a function in mm.c, share_xen_page_with_guest(). So, I
first map that page to Xen, then try to share this page with my
privileged domain. But this operation will mess up the whole system. I
get several kernel stack traces when launching xend.

I heard about a mechanism call "foreign map", but I can't find details
about it. As for grant table, I think that's too high an abstraction
for my need, so I haven't tried that yet. Any suggestion on how to
accomplish my object?

Thanks in advanced!

Wei LIU