[Xen-devel] Hanging save/restore with 2.6.31.6 domU

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Hanging save/restore with 2.6.31.6 domU
From: Major Hayden <major@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 15:43:11 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:43:36 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I have a peculiar issue with xm save / xm restore when using vanilla 2.6.31.6
kernel from kernel.org in a domU on a server running Xen 3.1.2-rc1.

When I run 'xm save' against a particular domU, the command will hang
indefinitely.  If I ctrl-c out and run xm list, the name of the vm has
'migrating-' appended to the beginning.  Also, the network and console of the
domU are unresponsive at this point.  The only way to bring the vm back is to
use xm destroy/xm create, which isn't practical.

This is the log output in dom0's xend.log during the hang:

(__init__:1072) [xc_save]: /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save 23 495 0 0 0
(__init__:1072) suspend
(__init__:1072) In saveInputHandler suspend
(__init__:1072) Suspending 495 ...
(__init__:1072) XendDomainInfo.shutdown(suspend)
(__init__:1072) XendDomainInfo.handleShutdownWatch
(__init__:1072) XendDomainInfo.handleShutdownWatch

The last line (XendDomainInfo.handleShutdownWatch) always seems to repeat
twice, and then never repeat again.  Inside the domU itself, nothing is logged
during the hang.  Since I cannot restore the vm, I can't see what is logged in
its dmesg output.

I've compiled the vanilla kernel for the domU following steps outlined here:

        http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

Also, I've reviewed both of these threads to ensure that my issue is unrelated:

        http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-11/msg00334.html
        http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-11/msg01057.html

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

--
Major Hayden