Re: [Xen-devel] Problem with 2.6.30 pv-ops domU

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Problem with 2.6.30 pv-ops domU
From: Jia Rao <rickenrao@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 00:10:00 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 21:10:29 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=aOeHcfxrBZ43fh+KcmZyRnuJPaUNKiMn92unPvvjQ9g=; b=QfyC8xXuhkBmpRlhRVGlLq4lS4Aq6J20r2aytCo9TKcVpGeELRpvCYR6/NcEsCILUq 25VLbCQ8y5R+Zb10foekTc53IMXkt/VK+xZAmUOZux6sAJL/gaAC2pjX1FBcjARZhDPm j2BxJL+W0ccfvLpduSAMggkhXh2intSx2B5yo=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The problem was solved. It turned out to be the blktap support in pv_ops.
I configured all the VM disks as tap:aio which seems to be waiting for tap:aio 2.
After changed to file based disk, everything is fine up to now.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/30/09 13:44, Jia Rao wrote:
> OK, the shrinking is working now. What I do now is to set a large
> initial memory size.
>
> Another problem is with the newest pv_ops kernel.
>
> I downloaded the xen-unstable, and compiled it under fedora 10.
>
> Dom0 booted fine, but when I cp the dom0 to a domU (what I did in the
> stable xen release, convert physical to virtual), the domU can boot,
> but immediately the vcpu(i set to 2) shrinked to 1 vcpu and the cpu
> was 100% busy there.

What do you mean by "shrinked to 1"?

> ping and xm console returned nothing.
>
> The same thing happened when I install a precompiled pv_ops kernel to
> my old domUs.
> I tried xen 3.3.1 (2.6.18.8 dom0) and xen-unstable(2.6.31.6 dom0),
> same problem.
> So I think the problem should be the pv_ops kernel.

What happens if you run with one vcpu?
What messages are printed when it boots?  Any?  Do you have
"earlyprintk=xen" on the kernel command line?
Does it respond to sysrq?
Can you get any info about the domain with xenctx?

> Do I need some special configuration for pv_ops kernel to use as a domU?

No.