[Xen-devel] compile error with current xen/master

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] compile error with current xen/master
From: Josip Rodin <joy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:48:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:48:58 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I updated my previously-working pvops kernel (git pull origin xen/master)
and reran make oldconfig, where I made some fairly random choices for the
new functionality that I'm not sure I want :) and then make failed with
the following output (with CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y):

[...]
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#3)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1651 modules
WARNING: drivers/net/xen-netchannel2/netchannel2.o(.init.text+0x23): Section
mismatch in reference from the function init_module() to the function
.exit.text:netfront2_exit()
The function __init init_module() references
a function __exit netfront2_exit().
This is often seen when error handling in the init function
uses functionality in the exit path.
The fix is often to remove the __exit annotation of
netfront2_exit() so it may be used outside an exit section.

WARNING: drivers/net/xen-netchannel2/netchannel2.o(.data+0x388): Section
mismatch in reference from the variable netfront2 to the function
.devinit.text:netfront_probe()
The variable netfront2 references
the function __devinit netfront_probe()
If the reference is valid then annotate the
variable with __init* or __refdata (see linux/init.h) or name the variable:
*driver, *_template, *_timer, *_sht, *_ops, *_probe, *_probe_one, *_console,

WARNING: drivers/net/xen-netchannel2/netchannel2.o(.data+0x398): Section
mismatch in reference from the variable netfront2 to the function
.devexit.text:netfront_remove()
The variable netfront2 references
the function __devexit netfront_remove()
If the reference is valid then annotate the
variable with __exit* (see linux/init.h) or name the variable:
*driver, *_template, *_timer, *_sht, *_ops, *_probe, *_probe_one, *_console,

ERROR: "xen_gsi_from_irq" [drivers/xen/pciback/pciback.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2
%

% grep -i xen .config
CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_TIME_VSYSCALL=y
CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY=32
CONFIG_XEN_SAVE_RESTORE=y
# CONFIG_XEN_DEBUG_FS is not set
CONFIG_XEN_DOM0=y
CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
CONFIG_XEN_DOM0_PCI=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE_XEN=y
CONFIG_PCI_XEN=y
# CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_NETXEN_NIC=m
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETCHANNEL2=m
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV2_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV2_FRONTEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV2_BYPASSABLE is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV2_BYPASS_ENDPOINT is not set
CONFIG_XEN_KBDDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_HVC_XEN=y
CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON=y
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=y
CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=m
CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI=y
# CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_PASS is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_SLOT is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_CONTROLLER is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BE_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_XENFS=y
CONFIG_XEN_COMPAT_XENFS=y
CONFIG_XEN_SYS_HYPERVISOR=y
CONFIG_XEN_XENBUS_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_S3=y
# CONFIG_XEN_GNTDEV is not set

Please tell me if you need anything else.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.