Re: [Xen-devel] VIRQ_CON_RING

To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VIRQ_CON_RING
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:51:36 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 06:51:51 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/11/2009 14:19, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any real user for this vIRQ?

xenconsoled when started with --log=hv|all

> While I realize that for compatibility reasons (even in the case of there
> not being a current user) it may not be possible to drop this vIRQ
> altogether, I wonder whether it would be possible to avoid scheduling
> the tasklet when the vIRQ has no handler and/or is already pending.

So this is due to you adding a really noisy printk in the middle of a
hypercall? I don't think you should expect goodness to result from that.
Seems to me the issue is as much the extreme load you put on printk as it is
printk's overhead.

 -- Keir