Re: [Xen-devel] VF as default interface on dom0

To: Satish Chowdhury <satish.chowdhury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VF as default interface on dom0
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 09:09:43 +1100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 14:10:09 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 06:35:40AM +0530, Satish Chowdhury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make the VF interface of Intel 82576 dual port card, as
> default outgoing interface on dom0. Data traffic from VMs (HVM) should go
> through VF interface on dom0.

[snip]

> Ping from domU-1 to VF and PF ip address works.
> Ping between domU-1 and domU-2 works.
> But, ping from domU to another machine on same network on switch doesn't
> work.
>
> The arp broadcast request goes out through VF interface. But the arp reply
> doesn't reach VF interface, they get routed to PF interface. Why is it so?
>
> PF interface(eth1) is not part of the eth3 bridge. If I add eth1 to
> eth3-bridge, then ping from VMs to other machines on switch works.
>

> Is there something I am missing? How to make above experiment to work?

Hi Staish,

I suspect that there is some kind of driver issue. Unfortunately
the building that the dc7800 that I use is undergoing power-maintenance
(= power-outage) today, so I can't investigate right now.

Out of interest, why are you trying to do this? The PF needs to be
present and have a link up in dom0 in order for the VF to exist and have a
link in dom0, so why not just use the PF?