[Xen-devel] Xen & OpenMosix

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen & OpenMosix
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:59:27 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:00:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So, I'm attempting to merge together the Xen Linux kernel and the openMOSIX
Linux kernel into a single 2.6.18 kernel that I can run for PV guests and also
use for openMOSIX.  (Yes, I know openMOSIX development has been discontinued,
and I'm still trying to do it :-).  I'm running into a couple of issues, and
one of them involves a change made to the do_signal function in the Xen code.
The openMOSIX code uses the do_signal function in its code; however, in the Xen
code, the do_signal function for the x86_64 architecture was changed to static
void (from int) in the arch/x86_64/kernel/signal.c file (changeset 375 in the
linux-2.6.18-xen.hg repository).  This is causing some errors trying to compile
the openMOSIX code, as it cannot find a do_signal function.

So, I'm wondering a couple of things:
- Is there a reason why do_signal is marked static, and so cannot be shared
with other source files?
- What are the ramifications of removing static from that function definition
in order to make it usable in the openMOSIX code?  I'm assuming there was a
good reason for making it static, and I'd like to verify that removing it as
part of applying the OM code isn't going to cause problems.

Thanks,
Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.