Re: [Xen-devel] Announcing xen/master: pvops git trees rearranged

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Announcing xen/master: pvops git trees rearranged
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:02:48 -0400
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:05:47 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 06:39:00PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 06:19:41PM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> >
> > This is definitely a work-in-progress kernel.  I'd appreciate all bug
> > *and* success reports so I can get some idea of how many people are
> > using this thing, and how often there are problems.  Patches gratefully
> > accepted.
> >

> I just tried the latest pv_ops dom0 git tree (11 Oct 2009) on x86_64 AHCI box.
>
> The good news is that the dom0 kernel boots up, but there are some error
> messages.
>
> Using the default options (modeset) the VGA console doesn't work, it
> goes blank (display says "power save") in the beginning of dom0 kernel boot:
> http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/dmesg-2.6.31.1-2009-10-11.txt

This line:
[drm:radeon_ring_test] *ERROR* radeon: ring test failed
(sracth(0x15E4)=0xCAFEDEAD)

Is a pretty good pointer at what the fault is. If you look at git commit
93e7c3850b8431e19c9cba91413066bfd2360671 you will see the band-aid Jeremy added.
It looks though as if not all of the radeon drivers allocate their ring buffer
memory via
drm_sg_alloc calls thought. Not sure how the r100 (and the corresponding X
driver) does it.
The long/erro traceback about the HARDIRQ is a red-herring in this case.

Here is a couple of things that I would like you to try, if you can:

1). Pass in 'drm.debug=255' and send the output. It should have tons of extra
output.

2). Send in the Xorg.log (or whatever output the program in the userland that
 starts the modesetting produces).  I don't have much knowledge in how
modesetting works,
 so this might require some digging.

2). When you boot the kernel without Xen, you don't see this error, right?

3) What does lspci -vvv output show for the video card in question?