Re: [Xen-devel] Sending packet at fixed rate really bad performance

To: Marco Tizzoni <elibus@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Sending packet at fixed rate really bad performance
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:17:31 -0400
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:29:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 07:26:49PM +0200, Marco Tizzoni wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm doing some tests about i/o performance and cpu overhead in dom0.
> I've coded a small tool that can sends UDP packets at fixed rate or
> flood. While sending packet at fixed rate I'm experiencing performance
> problem, related to how Xen  handle signal, I guess.
>
> On my laptop (Core2 duo P8700), with no Xen running, I can send
> packets at a rate of 20k, 40k, 60k, 80k/s achieving an actual packet
> rate per second pretty near to the requested rate.
>
> On Xen (dom0 with no guest running and no load - Athlon 64 dual core
> 4000+ ), the performance are really bad.

Lets narrow this down a bit.  You are comparing two different systems
with potentially different interfaces. Lets concentrate on one machine
first. Is the performance on your Athlon 64 without Xen (meaning you
boot without Xen) in the same ball-park figure?

I want to make sure we can eliminate the hardware being at fault here.