Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.1 and QCOW - sparse backing file support gone fo

To: Martin Troester <TroyMcClure@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.1 and QCOW - sparse backing file support gone forever?
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:04:57 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:05:25 -0700
Newsgroups: chiark.mail.xen.devel
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Martin Troester writes ("[Xen-devel] Xen 3.4.1 and QCOW - sparse backing file
support gone forever?"):
> Can you or some qemu developer reading this please explain if this code
> actually made it into 3.4.1, and if yes, how I would migrate my existing
> files to contain this "more metadata" to be working again?

No, it's not in 3.4.1, and it won't be in any later 3.4.x.

qemu upstream have been racing ahead and playing catchup didn't seem
to be working well so I'm hoping that the qemu will fork a stable
branch in time to update to it for Xen 3.5, in which case this problem
will be fixed then.

> If that's not in, is there any plan how to deal with scenarios like
> mine? Especially, is there way to convert my images to some usable
> format for not having to stick to Xen 3.2.1? Or is it just too exotic so
> that I throw everything away and think of something else? (I am still
> thinking that stacking qcow images is not the most stupid thing to do...)

If it works for you then your system may have a security problem.  I
haven't analysed this use case in detail and it would depend on the
exact structure of your storage.

Alternatively a workaround for you might be to force it always to
assume qcow2 for files rather than raw, if you don't have any raw disk files.

Ian.