[Xen-devel] issues with running xend init.d script

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] issues with running xend init.d script
From: Michael J Coss <mjcoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 18:00:24 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 15:00:51 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Not sure that this is the correct place to post this but when I tried to start xend from the init.d directory, I ran into 2 problems. The first issue was that xend wants to check the Xen is running, and does that by checking /proc/xen/capabilities, which requires xenfs to be mounted. It was not in the fstab, and so wasn't mounted. This should probably should be in the install setup somewhere, or maybe the first time the xend is run, it checks to see if it's mounted and if it isn't tries to mounts it and adds an entry to fstab if successful. The second issue was that the script network-bridge didn't handle my network interfaces properly. I tracked down the problem to the fact that the script, in the function get_ip_info() uses "ip addr show dev" to get the ip address and broadcast address. Unfortunately on my machine, I have ipv6 configured, and so there is a second inet line for the link local ipv6 address. As a temporary hack, I added "scope global" to the ip command, and the network is setup albeit without ipv6. This certainly isn't a real fix, but does fix the case where the ipv6 is only a local address.

---Michael J Coss