[Xen-devel] RE: rdtsc: correctness vs performance on Xen (and KVM?)

To: dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx, "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: rdtsc: correctness vs performance on Xen (and KVM?)
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:53:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> My current thinking is that we (the Linux and
> Xen and KVM community) should architect a
> userland API using the pvclock mechanism.

OK, here's a slightly refined proposal.  To
reiterate, the problem is that Xen's current
mechanism for handling the rdtsc instruction
may silently provide incorrect results while
alternative mechanisms are too slow (vs VMware
which is both fast and correct).  My goal is to
provide a paravirtualized tsc mechanism for apps
running on Xen that is reliably correct,
is not dependent on a particular OS or
processor family, is approximately as fast
as rdtsc (or at least much faster than emulated
rdtsc), provides adequate (e.g. nanosecond)
resolution, does not require recompilation to
work both on Xen and bare metal, and works properly
across: vcpu-to-pcpu rescheduling even on NUMA
machines; system sleep/hibernation; and
save/restore/migration between machines with
dissimilar clock rates.  Implementation requires
changes in Xen and "the app" but no OS changes
thus making it still viable on legacy OS's
and possibly(?) HVM domains.  Note that
only apps that need to sample time on the
order of >5-100K/core/second would use this;
for other apps, rdtsc emulation overhead
is probably negligible (<0.2%).

0)  Xen implements rdtsc emulation by default
1)  Guest OS is launched with pvtsc=1 in vm.cfg
2)  App running on guest OS sets up a SIGILL handler
3)  App executes a special rdmsr instruction or
    hypercall.
4a) If SIGILL results, not running on Xen at all,
    or on old Xen; app uses rdtsc at own risk. Done.
4b) Else, rdmsr/hypercall returns virtual address of
    special pvclock page ("pvclock_va").
5)  App executes another special rdmsr instruction/
    hypercall to disable rdtsc emulation.  This
    affects ALL execution for all processes in this VM.
6)  Xen maintains mapping of pvclock_va to a
    different physical page for each processor
    and transparently handles TLB misses for
    pvclock_va
7)  App uses (unemulated) rdtsc and applies
    pvclock algorithm (using values in memory
    at pvclock_va) resulting in pvtsc, which
    is nanoseconds since VM start.  App can
    further apply local algorithms to enforce
    monotonicity or frequency scaling as desired.

Comments appreciated.  I realize that this is hacky
and ugly... better alternatives gladly solicited.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. While it would be nice if we could just tell
apps to use a fast vgettimeofday equivalent, this
does not exist today and, even if it did, would not
be widely available for years in the kernel running under
most enterprise app deployments (and, even then,
only on 64-bit Linux.)