Re: [Xen-devel] HVM dropped packets

To: Nathan Stratton <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HVM dropped packets
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:53:45 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 00:54:18 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 26/08/2009 08:45, "Nathan Stratton" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I bet the drops are caused by the low performance of Qemu nic _emulation_.
>
> Does one emulate better then the rest?

e1000 is probably faster than the rest due to a more efficient hardware
interface better suited to emulation. You may still get receiver overruns
though (which I think was the source of the drops you were seeing?). That's
simply the host receiving packets faster than they can get stuffed through
the emulated interface.

 -- Keir