Re: [Xen-devel] Vt-d not working with 3.4.1

To: enming.teo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Vt-d not working with 3.4.1
From: "Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <enming.teo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 01:28:36 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx, mad@xxxxxx, "'Bonenkamp, Ralf'" <ralf.bonenkamp@xxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:29:36 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I saw this posting by jam834 on nvidia forums:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=82229&view=findpost&p=471582

<QUOTE jam834>
I've fixed my problem. It was a conflict with the nvidia kernel module and the Myrinet 10G ethernet card module where they were trying to enable write-combining on two different PAT indexes (whatever that means).

>From myrinet's documentation:
QUOTE
If you are using another vendor's driver which also sets up PAT write
combining, and that vendor's driver uses a different PAT index than
our driver, the other vendor's driver may note a conflict and run in
reduced performance mode. Examples of other drivers which use PAT
include the Nvidia graphics driver, and various Infiniband drivers.

One way to work around this PAT conflict is to change the PAT index
used by the Myri10GE driver by rebooting, and loading the module using
the myri10ge_pat_idx modparam to specify a different PAT index. We
currently default to 6, while some other vendors use 1. Good values
to try are 1, 4, 5, and 7.

I added the line: options myri10ge myri10ge_pat_idx=1
to my /etc/modprobe.conf, made a new initrd image and rebooted.

The "NVRM: PAT configuration unsupported, falling back to MTRRs." error has gone away and everything is now working like it should. This is running the 180.06 driver with the CUDA 2.1 beta, but I'm assuming it will also work with CUDA 2.0 and its appropriate driver.
</QUOTE>

If I change the PAT index for my nvidia graphics driver, it may solve the problem. What PAT indices should I attempt? Is it possible to change the PAT index when loading the nvidia module?
--
Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) Dip(Mechatronics Engineering) BEng(Hons)(Mechanical Engineering)
Technical Support Engineer