RE: [Xen-devel] xci pci passthru video card flr etc

To: 'Andrew Lyon' <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xci pci passthru video card flr etc
From: "Han, Weidong" <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:07:53 +0800
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: 'Xen-devel' <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:08:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb?p=xenclient/linux-2.6.27-pq.git;a=commit;h=b631b9005cd72b0e2e859dd1fab557a3015c8b58
>>> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb?p=xenclient/linux-2.6.27-pq.git;a=commit;h=36083d0755a740ed509ca9812db9576473bc4e8b
>>>
>>> Are all 3 patches required? are any other patches required? what
>>> about patches to Xen?
>>>
>>> The http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb?p=xenclient/linux-2.6.27-pq.git
>>> patchqueue includes pull's from other trees, is there anything in
>>> them that I need for FLR or other necessary new features?
>>>
>>> I am currently running Xen 3.4 but plan to upgrade to the latest
>>> 3.4.1-rc before I try video passthru, I've already patched 3.4 to
>>> fix the problem with viridian and windows 7, I assume that fix will
>>> be included in 3.4.1 as it is in testing
>>> (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-changelog/2009-06/msg00119.html)
>>>
>>> My system currently has a 512mb 8600GT which I use with the nvidia
>>> binary drivers driving a pair of 1920x1200 tft's, I think I can get
>>> access to another identical 8600GT so I plan to drive one monitor
>>> with each card, has anybody had success with passthru using nvidia
>>> cards?
>>
>> We observed that it needs vBAR = pBAR (1:1 map memories of video
>> card in guest and host) for some Nvidia cards, such as Geforce 8400
>> GS. But some high-end Nvidia cards (e.g Quadro FX 3800) don't
>> require that, they are more virtualization friendly.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Weidong
>>

> I thought the purpose of the vt-d iommu was to map the virtual
> addresses to physical for just this reason?

VT-d can translate GPA to HPA.

> I don't think I can run to £700 needed for a quadro just so that I can
> run windows 7 aero on my 3rd monitor :-), has anybody else had success
> with consumer nvidia cards?

Yes, the quadro cards are expensive, but they are friendly to virtualization.
We are investigating gfx passthrough based on xen-unstable, we will post
patches in near future.

Regards,
Weidong