RE: [Xen-devel] capturing windows crash dumps

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] capturing windows crash dumps
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:28:59 +1000
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 03:29:27 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On 18/08/2009 11:42, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >> Could it be as simple as write the guest physical address of a
> > pre-allocated
> >> buffer into xenstore (from GPLPV drivers)? Then dump that area of
> > guest
> >> memory on guest bugcheck, even as a manual operation from dom0?
> >
> > The memory in question could be anything from 64kb (minidump) to the
> > size of DomU memory (full dump) or somewhere inbetween (kernel
dump).
> > I'm normally just interested in the kernel dump which is normally a
much
> > more respectable size, but still not the size of memory you can
easily
> > find when the system has gone belly up.
>
> Hmm, okay. Could you dump it out over the emulated serial line?

The more I look into it the less fond I get of this idea... I already
use the serial line for other things.

What about an event channel and a page of memory that could be retrieved
via the existing hvm_get_param mechanism for HVM domains and part of the
start_info page for PV domains? (just like store_mfn and store_evtchn
etc).

James