RE: [Xen-devel] Re: TSC scaling and softtsc reprise, and PROPOSAL

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: TSC scaling and softtsc reprise, and PROPOSAL
From: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:13:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-Devel \(E-mail\)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Dong, Eddie" <eddie.dong@xxxxxxxxx>, "Zhang, Xiantao" <xiantao.zhang@xxxxxxxxx>, John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:13:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Well actually, "how Linux handles this" is subject to
a dizzying matrix of hardware-dependent, CONFIG_-dependent,
linux-boot-parameter-dependent choices
that have evolved/changed at nearly every Linux
kernel version.  While it might be useful to steal
some recent Linux code to help determine if it is
safe to build Xen system time on top of TSC on some
processors, I don't know if Linux is of much use as
a design guide for how to expose TSC to guests/apps,
especially when said guests/apps may be moving back and
forth between hardware with widely varying TSC
characteristics.

But, yes, as Kevin points out, on some recent versions
of Linux on some hardware with some CONFIG/boot-params,
the kernel does indeed try to use TSC as a reliable
foundation for delivering ticks and gettimeofday-ish
services.