[Xen-devel] Possible bug, gplpv / pv-netdev

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Possible bug, gplpv / pv-netdev
From: "Bart Van Kerckhove" <bart@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:25:55 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:26:25 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear list,

I have been struggling with this issue for quite a while, and decided to
mail in for some pointers, since I'm stuck.

I'm running xen3.4.0 , and while using windows 2003 x64 and GPLPV (up to
0.10.0.86) - I keep running into the following kernel error message in dom0:

[ 9266.293979] unregister_netdevice: waiting for vif31.0 to become free.
Usage count = 2
[ 9276.433986] unregister_netdevice: waiting for vif31.0 to become free.
Usage count = 2

This results in total deadlock as far as accessing interfaces goes, as well
as xend.
Only a reboot can get me out of this.
I can reproduce this problem easily: boot up windows with GPLPV, disable the
(pv) network interface in windows, enable it again, then disable it again.
At this point, windows should hang - destroy the VM and this error pops up.

I've googled this error and found some mentioning of it earlier on, but no
solutions.
This seems like a xen bug, not a gplpv one, since imho it should not be
possible to crash the dom0 from within a domU...

First post to this list, please excuse me, and feel free to ask for more
details / info.
I can provide access to the system in question (although this is not the
first system I encounter this problem with)

Kind regards,

-Bart Van Kerckhove