[Xen-devel] Bandwidth usage during live migration

To: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Bandwidth usage during live migration
From: "Nikola K. Zahariev" <nirangor@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:20:43 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 01:21:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=Cd8HqXH4El9lDrMnPF2TIN2hksCscuwnttm+QjPNn9U=; b=QZc+gF6/wvcME/vPjGWGnUog4Mcja/ZdGcZdkRl+G6QqzMH4nKVLnkGlsQV6/lymN2 FGKf4whWtyOwu9zrKgRFMNL3gkfENaokgei4an/lFLaGW0LthBmU9VmnctOegIW1kbtK YPq73HK79EF3Ujx+VInPpVe3VZY8OJ5lz3K9M=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

I am a little bit confused about how XEN manages live migration.
According to a paper [1] XEN has some kind of adaptive algorithm which
increases the bandwidth to be used during transfer. It depends on the
rate the pages get dirtied. It says there is a lower and an upper
limit for the bandwidth to be used which the administrator could set.

But actually there are no such parameters (at least in the config options).
I did some tests and it looks to me that XEN is using the maximum
bandwidth of the network available during live migration. Could
someone confirm this?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Best regards,
Nikola