[Xen-devel] dom0-min-mem=0 and enable-dom0-ballooning

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] dom0-min-mem=0 and enable-dom0-ballooning
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06 Jun 2009 22:08:08 -0400
Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 19:08:46 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Normally I configure my own servers such that the dom0 boots with a fixed
amount of ram (dom_mem on the xen command line)  then I set dom0-min-mem
to the same value as dom0_mem, thus disabling ballooning.

the other day I was documenting this and looking at other ways to do the
same thing.

I noticed something odd.  In newer versions of Xen,
(enable-dom0-ballooning no) will disable ballooning.  But that is only
respected in newer versions of Xen.   Before the enable-dom0-ballooning
option was enabled, setting dom0-min-mem to 0 would disable ballooning.
After the enable-dom0-ballooning setting was added, though, setting
dom0-min-mem to 0 would actually set the minimum to zero.

This seems dangerous to me, as I can't think of any time where I'd really
want to let the dom0 balloon to 0, and it's pretty easy to make the mistake
of setting dom0-min-mem to 0 if you come across older documentation.

I would suggest changing xen so that dom0-min-mem 0 disabled ballooning as
it did before.