[Xen-devel] WinXP hard disk duplicated with Novell drivers

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] WinXP hard disk duplicated with Novell drivers
From: Michael David Crawford <mdc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 19:35:05 -0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 24 May 2009 19:35:37 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I searched Google and both the user and devel mailing lists, but didn't see any reference to this.

I have a WinXP SP3 DomU that mostly works. However I installed the SLES 10 Virtual Machine Drivers for Windows on Xen. Now I have both a C: and a D: drive - but they're the same underlying filesystem. I hope it doesn't corrupt my filesystem!

If I do a Properties on either drive icon, then click the Hardware tab, I see two drives listed:

  QEMU HARDDISK
  Novell Xen Block SCSI Disk Device

So Windows is getting at the underlying VBD through both QEMU and the Novell driver.

I am using the 3.4.0 Xen kernel with the xen-tip/next Linux kernel source as of last night.

I am unclear on how to properly use the Xen blkdev - it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. It's apparently meant to be used as a SCSI device, but when I use "sda" instead of "hda" in my DomU config, the Bochs BIOS can't find the boot device. That is, this works with the doubled drive:

   disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda10,hda,w' ]

This won't boot:

   disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda10,sda,w' ]

Here is my config:

import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 1024

name = "WinXP"

pae=0
acpi=1
apic=1

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0, mac=00:16:3e:0A:00:11' ]

# disk = [ 'file:/home/DomU/winxp.img,sda,w' ]
# disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda10,hda,w', 'file:/home/mike/Archives/Windows/GRTMPOEM_EN.iso,sdb:cdrom,r' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/sda10,hda,w' ]

device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

boot="dc"
sdl=1
vnc=0
vncunused=1
vncpasswd='..luis'

stdvga=0
serial='pty'
monitor=1

--
Michael David Crawford
mdc@xxxxxxxxx

   prgmr.com - We Don't Assume You Are Stupid.

      Xen-Powered Virtual Private Servers: http://prgmr.com/xen