Re: [Xen-devel] Repositories and build system

To: Brendan Cully <brendan@xxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Repositories and build system
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 19:17:09 +0100
Cc: Yuji Shimada <shimada-yxb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 May 2009 11:17:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 07/05/2009 18:00, "Brendan Cully" <brendan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I agree.
>> In fact I think we should start to write in clear letters when a commit
>> breaks xen\qemu compatibility, specifying the required changeset in the
>> other repository.
>> We could formally introduce this practice with the 3.5 development cycle.
>
> This would certainly be an improvement, but it depends on the
> developer always knowing and recording exactly what synchronization is
> needed. This doesn't quite jibe with bisect, whose raison d'etre is to
> help find problems that went unnoticed for potentially long periods of
> time. Even when the hints work, bisection is still quite painful
> across two repositories in two different version control systems.

We plan to turn on the QEMU_TAG mechanism always after 3.4 is branched, so
that by default xen-unstable.hg will always clone a specific version of the
qemu git repository. I'm sure it should be then be possible to make bisect
update the foreign qemu repo as it goes quite straightforwardly.

 -- Keir