Re: [Xen-devel] Repositories and build system

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Repositories and build system
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:06:53 +0100
Cc: Yuji Shimada <shimada-yxb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zhai, Edwin" <edwin.zhai@xxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 11:07:21 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29/04/2009 18:40, "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> That would require formal, machine-readable tracking of the
>> inter-version dependencies.  Since at the moment we can't reliably
>> accidentally avoid introducing cross-version breakage I don't think we
>> can reliably avoid buggy metadata either.
>
> Understood.  But it is a big loss to be unable to do a bisect
> search for a bug.  With the proliferation of repositories
> and components, it may become necessary to impose some discipline
> to avoid the introduction of (undocumented) locksteps.

Fixing the interface between qemu and xen repos would be nice. Perhaps we
could do that for all but device passthru (which I think was all that broke
in this case). Passthru is still the main thing that is churning at a
furious rate (and sensibly so imo since I think some bits of logic are still
in the wrong places, and some interfaces are probably still not great).

 -- Keir