[Xen-devel] Success with recent Xen pv_ops dom0 kernel (2.6.29-rc8)

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Success with recent Xen pv_ops dom0 kernel (2.6.29-rc8)
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:34:06 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:34:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

In addition to all the nagging about bugs I decided to report some positive
stuff too :)

My current pv_ops dom0 testbox seems to work pretty well. It's Linux 2.6.29-rc8
based, built last saturday (2009-03-21). I'm running 32bit PAE pv_ops dom0
kernel
on some older Intel P4 machine, which doesn't have HVM (Intel VT) support.
So I can't test HVM guests.

Things that work based on my testing:
- "xm info"
- "xm list"
- "xm create" <- PV domU, LVM volume as disk, bridged network, VNC console
- "xm destroy"
- "virt-install" to install new guests
- "virt-manager" to manage and install new guests
- "virsh" to manage guests

I successfully ran and installed CentOS 5.3 domU, Fedora 10 domU, and Fedora 11
(rawhide) domU.
I'm able to run multiple PV guests at the same time.. No crashes or anything
weird based on
a couple of hours of testing.

Things that are still broken:
- dom0 VGA text console doesn't work, only serial console works
- CONFIG_HIGHPTE=y crashes the dom0 kernel sooner or later, so I'm running
CONFIG_HIGHPTE=n

Otherwise my setup consists of:
- Fedora 10 distribution on dom0, latest updates installed
- libvirt 0.6.1 and related packages from f10 updates-testing (earlier versions
had a lot of problems)
- F11/rawhide Xen 3.3.1-9 packages rebuilt for F10
- New enough pv_ops dom0 kernel so it has /sys/hypervisor support for
libvirt/virt-install/virt-manager

Missing features:
- blktap (tap:aio). Any plans for this?
- PV domU PCI-passthrough?

Congratulations and thanks to Jeremy (and others) for the hard work so far!

-- Pasi