Re: [Xen-devel] Design document of Kemari

On Friday, 06 March 2009 at 12:36, John Levon wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 02:26:06AM +0900, Yoshiaki Tamura wrote:
>
> > Although the numbers are old, you can get an extended abstract and slides
> > which I used at Xen Summit from http://www.osrg.net/kemari
>
> Thanks, that has some more info. Seems like there's a good opportunity for
> someone to do some more detailed comparisons.
>
> > >If both projects are indeed headed for the tree, people are going to
> > >need some ideas of which to use...
> >
> > Well, I sent the following message when I open-sourced Kemari in November.
> >
> > http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-11/msg00682.html
>
> "We're also planning to merge with Remus from UBC to propose a better
> solution for Xen 3.4 together."
>
> That sounds very interesting.

Yes, Yoshi and I had a brief discussion a few months ago about
this. Kemari has been released, and I plan to release Remus as soon as
possible. Unfortunately, I've had a very busy start to 2009 (related
to the Tralfamadore project Andy presented at the last Xen summit) and
haven't had the cycles to forward port the code to unstable and test
it. I intend to do that ASAP, and no later than the end of the month.

The good news is that I believe all of the Xen and Linux support
necessary for Remus has already been merged, so the code I'll be
releasing is just tools patches (I should double check whether that
also holds for HVM Remus, but I believe it does). Once the code is
released we can start looking at how to share code between Kemari and
Remus. I think there is a lot of common ground between the two
approaches -- the heart of Remus is fine-grained checkpoints, and I
think that's true for Kemari as well, though I haven't yet looked
closely at it.

By the way, there's another project going on here at UBC that
complements both Kemari and Remus very well. Patrick Colp is working
on copy-on-write VM checkpoints, which could be a huge win for
checkpoint-based availability. He also presented some of his work at
the last Xen summit:

http://www.getxen.org/xensummit/xensummit_winter_2009.html