Re: [Xen-devel] VMM detection

To: Wu Bingzheng <wubingzheng@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VMM detection
From: Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:04:22 +0900
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:04:47 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=ZTgxKr1eFD6MXdYrjDzJTi2p/AI6dCj8HwRo2cdV/8U=; b=Byhi6FM3mOajtvLodOopTSzcb++Et0Gb91hAe/QLfqEwLXXfjjMQBOMO06xEbqle4f IE2Mzfa3GVhHuo2YW6VnftfwOprdfIzpGjLrSHbeAwHrrQpfGZIOH0hGSfHdH6hWPwXL KP6Y7E0SiRfG/Xe7nHGUDa6cL18thTwgscRio=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/03/2009 03:15, "Wu Bingzheng" <wubingzheng@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> So do you mean that in HVM guest, the SGDT will get the GDT of guest, but not
>> Xen?
>>
>> It lists 17 instructions in Pentium instruction set, which is virtualization
>> sensitive
>> and unprivileged, including SGDT, at paper named
>> Analysis of the IntelPentium's Ability to Support aSecure Virtual Machine
>> Monitor
>> <http://www.usenix.org/events/sec00/full_papers/robin/robin_html/index.html>.
>> Using these instructions, we can detect VMM on a PV guest.
>>
>> I want to know if we can use these instructions to detect VMM on a HVM guest.
>
> No, they behave 'natively' when running as an HVM guest. The guest cannot
> easily tell it is running on a VMM.

It is not difficult if you look else where. For ex, HVM uses Bochs
BIOS, and that is a clear evidence.

There are already a lot of papers proved that it is impossible to hide
the fact that your machine is virtual. You can search on Usenix
website, for example.

Thanks,